Saturday 22 August 2009

KILLER HEELS AT THE RNA

FROM MY ARCHIVE
Last year my novel, SILK AND STEEL was shortlisted for the Romantic Novel of the Year Award and I wrote this blog for my publishers’ newsletter.

KILLER HEELS AT THE RNA
The e-mail came from my editor just before Christmas yet I had to keep it a secret until the press release on 14 January. I didn’t crack until 10 January, by which time I was bouncing off the walls with excitement. SILK AND STEEL had been nominated for a prestigious award and I was in highly respected company on a shortlist that included two past winners of the prize.

My first concern was what to wear, both for the champagne breakfast to announce the shortlist and the Award Lunch itself in February. Let me tell you that the January Sales is not the time to be looking for something special! After a second unsuccessful expedition I fished in the back of my wardrobe for something reliable, if not exactly stylish.

Half past nine is a good time for breakfast and after my first glass of champagne at that hour of the morning I quickly stopped worrying and started enjoying. The setting was an elegant upstairs drawing room at the New Cavendish Club near London’s Marble Arch. The authors’ books were beautifully displayed and the room was alive with authors, agents, editors and publicists. I think there might have been some coffee and croissants somewhere but I never got around to them.

None of the shortlisted authors knew who the others were until we met that morning, but we were circulating and chatting to each other immediately. The champagne helped of course, as well as the wonderful people from Midas PR, their absolutely charming photographer, and quite a lot of journalists. The photographer was brilliant. He managed to make me feel comfortable and important at the same time. And he was managing six of us!

The whole morning was great fun and right at the very end I was asked to sign my books. I love doing that.

When I had recovered from the champagne, I realised that an even bigger occasion, The Lunch, was on the horizon and I really had to get something new to wear. Well, Oxford Street was just around the corner so off I went with Alex, my very obliging publicist from Little, Brown. Now that, I think, was really over and above the call of duty for her!

Have you ever tried using a ‘personal shopper’? I heartily recommend it. I was lucky enough to find a cancellation slot in one of the big stores and it made my task so much easier. They didn’t charge me any extra for the service, and it was a very good service. My shopper did all the hard work to find colour and size and even brought me items from the sale to try. She was clever and she was kind, and I bought two outfits and a top. I got the killer heels to go with them later, from M & S on the advice of Alex.

The Award Lunch, organised by the Romantic Novelists Association (RNA), was fantastic from the red carpet outside the hotel to carrying home the maroon, red and silver helium balloons at the end. All six shortlisted novelists were treated like royalty, and in great demand from journalists and photographers; with Helen Lederer chairman of the judges, on the red carpet, on the spiral staircase, as a group, as individuals, signing our books, and talking and drinking (more champagne) with friends. Each of us gave a TV interview – the first for me, so I hope they edited it! I really should work on my ‘performance’ skills.

The banqueting room at the Royal Garden Hotel, Kensington was glamorous and glittery with a dark red, scarlet and silver theme. Huge TV monitors, strategically placed, were showing our book covers and wonderful quotations about the value of romantic fiction from Helen Lederer and Amanda Ross of Cactus TV. Each shortlisted novelist was given a presentation red rose as we sat down for lunch. My agent was with me at the Little, Brown table as well as my editor and her colleagues from the excellent team that ensures my book reaches its readers. There were two journalists as well, each interested in an interview about how I came to write the book.

Oh yes, the book. I was having such a good time I almost forgot why I was there. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine that, when I sat down to write SILK AND STEEL with all its hardship and misery, it would lead me to such a spectacular event. I’m sure that Mariah Bowes, the heroine inspired by my great-grandmother, would have approved of my silk outfit.

We ate and drank fine food and wine. I hope you’ll forgive me if I can’t remember all of it. The pudding was a soufflĂ©, though, because I recall thinking, how on earth do you produce soufflĂ© for 300 people? Finally, there was the Award; an entertaining talk by Helen Lederer followed by a brief review of each book and the announcement of the winner. After the huge applause, and a beautiful, eloquent response from Freya North, the winner, the atmosphere became less formal and the party began to break up.

The bar stayed open and I caught up with a few author friends, whom I had glimpsed in the distance earlier on. I don’t think we left until about half past four and then only after a search for my killer heels, abandoned somewhere in the vicinity of the bar. It was a splendid occasion and one that I shall always remember. Many, well deserved congratulations to Freya. Also, many thanks to The Romantic Novelists Association for organising the award and the event. And my personal thanks to the Little, Brown team for such splendid work in publishing my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment